International Union of Basic and Clinical Pharmacology (IUPHAR )2014 workshop, Cape Town, South Africa
- Do we need global standards for PhD education: Prof. Zdravko Lackovic
- ORPHEUS-AMSE- WFME Standards for PhD education: Prof. Michael Mulvany
- Do we need international Standards: US position Prof. Joey Barnett
- Do we need international Standards: Indian position Prof. Arunabha Ray
- Do we need international Standards: South African position Prof. Tiaan Brink
The workshop reviewed PhD education in a variety of countries with a view to determining whether a consensus can be obtained about the expected outcomes of PhD education, the content of PhD programmes and the manner in which PhD education is organized. Speakers were be asked to relate their PhD programmes to the standards recommended by ORPHEUS (Organisation for PhD education in biomedicine and health sciences in the European system, www.orpheus-med.org). The workshop showed that although there are substantial differences in PhD programmes between countries, large areas of agreement could be identified.